Stonington Garden Club Scholarship Awards
The Stonington Garden Club proudly supports the Stonington High School Environmental Sciences and offers three monetary awards annually to seniors graduating in good standing from the school.
Environmental Studies Award
A $1000 monetary award is offered to a SHS senior who is pursuing a college degree related to environmental awareness. GPA and successful completion of a SHS Environmental Science course considered.
Environmental Awareness Award
A $1000 monetary award is offered to a SHS senior who is pursuing a college degree related to environmental awareness. GPA optional, course not required.
Stonington High School applicants should contact Mrs. Lamb in the career center for an application.
Any questions can be directed to Ms. Whitman in the Environmental Sciences department or to Michelle Kutz of the Stonington Garden Club, firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Student is enrolled or has been enrolled in the Environmental Science class. If not, please explain why they chose not to.
2) Student played or is playing an active role in at least one gardening/horticulture/landscaping/conservation project at Stonington High School.
3) Student is interested in developing/furthering their knowledge in these sciences.
4) Student demonstrates enthusiasm and spirit for environmental awareness and stewardship.
5) Student has the approval of his or her teacher, and will graduate in good standing at the end of the current academic year.
6) Student shall participate in a short one on one discussion with Environmental Science teacher, Ms. Whitman.
The SGC has made charitable contributions to the following organizations:
Avalonia Land Conservancy, Inc.
American Horticulture Society
Borough of Stonington, CT Wayland’s Wharf Rain Garden and U. S. Post Office Gardens
Connecticut College Arboretum
Clean Up Sound & Harbor (CUSH)
Denison Pequotsepos Nature Center – Coogan Farm Giving Garden
Eastern Connecticut Conservation District
Federated Garden Clubs of Connecticut
Garden Club of America
La Grua Center – Children’s Greens Workshop
New England Wildflower Society
Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center – supporting Community Garden, Holiday Toy Drive
Salt Marsh Opera
Stonington Cemetery Inc. – Bulb planting and beautification
Stonington Free Library – Garden Book donations, holiday and weekly floral arrangements in the summer
Stonington Historical Society – supporting public open space at Lighthouse Museum and Captain Nathaniel Palmer House Museum
Stonington Land Trust
Stonington Elementary Schools – Naturescapes 3rd Grade School Field Trip Program
The Nature Conservancy
The Stonington Community Center (COMO) – Children’s Garden, Village Fair
Town of Stonington – Stonington Beautification Committee
Town of Stonington High School teaching garden
Town of Stonington High School Environmental Science Scholarship & Stewardship Award
Wood-Pawcatuck Watershed Association
Local area senior long and short-term residences – the SGC creates and donates over 200 holiday bedside table centerpieces.